How To Care For Cork Flooring
If you have finally decided on cork to replace that old flooring, you certainly aren’t alone, as many homeowners prefer the natural look and feel of cork underfoot. Like all flooring materials, cork does require some TLC and with that in mind, here is our guide to caring for a newly installed cork floor.
- Mop Up Spills Quickly – While your new cork floor is waterproof, it is not a good idea to leave liquid sitting on the surface, rather remove it using a soft mop or kitchen roll. Spills are common in the kitchen, so do keep tissue rolls handy at all times. The longer a substance sits on the flooring, the more chance of staining, so timely cleaning up is recommended.
- Choice Of Mop – You need a thick mop that will ensure the frame does not touch the floor and when wringing out the water, make sure most of the water is expelled, leaving the mop damp rather than wet. There are affordable cork tile flooring Australia, among other countries, offer that can be found with a Google search, when you are ready to choose a contractor.
- Sweep With A Soft Brush – It is important to sweep before you mop, as mopping without sweeping could cause the floor to be scratched. Buy a small brush and pan set and keep it in the corner of the room and use it several times a day.
- Stain Removal – In the event your cork flooring is stained, only use approved cork floor cleaners. The flooring contractor can recommend suitable brands of cork floor cleaning products and you should keep some under the sink.
- Heavy Furniture – If you are going to locate heavy furniture on a cork floor, you should use rubber furniture pads to protect the floor. Never drag heavy furniture across the flooring, as this could seriously damage the cork.
- Polyurethane Coating – The best form of protection for a cork floor, the team that installs the floor would apply polyurethane as a seal. The coating should last up to 5 years, after which, another coating should be applied. Talk to the supplier.
- Waxing – Regular waxing will bring up a nice shine, plus it adds yet another protective layer and the best wax is 100% natural.
- Avoid Abrasive Floor Cleaning Products – Abrasive powders should be avoided when cleaning the floor; we recommend a mixture of mild detergent in water and wring out the mop well before using it on the floor.
The Importance Of A Professional Installation
Unless you happen to have extensive experience installing cork flooring, this should be left to the professionals, who can ensure a top-notch installation that lasts for many years. Of course, the substrate must be correctly prepared, which is the key to a good installation and when you visit the flooring showroom, prepare a list of questions to ask about the various installation methods. Don’t forget to tell the staff member what type of substrate you have, as this will help them to make the right recommendations.
If you have yet to choose a supplier, start with a Google search and browse a few websites and when you find the right contractor, visit their showroom and check out their amazing range of cork flooring.